Certified Organizational Ombuds Practitioner / CO-OP®
Roy Baroff is an experienced conflict engagement / management professional. He is an ombuds, mediator, educator and attorney. In the past, he represented clients in a range of settings, mediated litigated and other workplace cases and served as an adjunct professor (he knows what its like to be in the classroom). His current focus is serving as the NC State Faculty and Staff ombuds along with some additional mediations outside NC State and education (Roy teaches a Negotiation course once each year at Elon Law School).
Roy received ombuds training in 2007 and became a CO-OP® (Certified Organizational Ombuds Practitioner) in June 2017. (The certification is provided via testing and application process with The Board of Certification connected with the International Ombuds Association.)
For additional information on the Staff Ombuds Office, here’s a 2017 update from NC State News.
Roy believes that for most of us, we do our best when we can think through an issue with a trusted colleague, family member, friend or advisor. The ombuds role is just that – a confidential resource to help empower people to reach their full potential, serve as a navigator and sounding board, a coach and information resource to help NC State Faculty & Staff consider a situation and determine how to proceed.
Roy grew up in the Triangle, attended high school, college, law school nearby and is honored to serve as the first NC State Faculty & Staff Ombuds.
If you are not sure where to go for help – GO OMBUDS !
- Illuminating Interviews: Insights into the Hearts and Minds of Conflict Resolution Practitioners – featuring Roy Baroff along with other practitioners (Conflict Resolution Quarterly / 2019 / Neil Katz, Nekeisha Bascombe and Peter Tokar
- Is it Time for a Model Ombuds Act?
(American Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section Ombuds Committee / Just Resolutions E-News / 2018 / Roy Baroff and Jon Lee)
- Ombuds in Private Law Firms
(The Peacemaker / North Carolina Bar Association / February 2016 / Roy Baroff)
- North Carolina Superior Court Mediation – A Retrospective
(North Carolina State Bar / Fall 2008 / Roy Baroff)
- What is Leadership? A Survey of NSCAA members reveals a variety of interpretations?
(Soccer Journal / July August 2005 / Roy Baroff and Bill Sanford)
- Dominator or Accomodator? Self assessment reveals players conflict behavior patterns
(Soccer Journal / August June 2004 / Roy Baroff and Bill Sanford)
Contacting the NC State Faculty & Staff Ombuds Office or the Faculty & Staff Ombuds is not notice to NC State of any issue, complaint, grievance or claim.