This page provides NC State Faculty & Staff Ombuds Office, International Ombuds Association (IOA) materials and other resources to help you deal with issues or conflicts that might arise in the workplace.
NC State Faculty & Staff Ombuds Office Reports
- Annual Report 2016 – Faculty Ombuds Office
- Annual Report 2017 – Faculty & Staff Ombuds Office
- Annual Report 2018 – Faculty & Staff Ombuds Office
- Annual Report 2019 – Faculty & Staff Ombuds Office
- Two Year / 2017 and 2018 / Two page summary
IOA Code and Standards
IOA Conference Presentations
- IOA 2016 – Open Ombuds Office
- IOA 2017 – Open Ombuds Office 2.0
- IOA 2018 – Mediation Theory into Ombuds Practice
- IOA 2019 – Ombuds as Negotiation Coach
Dealing with Difficult Situations
- It’s important to analyze and think through all perspectives when addressing a difficult situation. In particular, it can be helpful to explore the underlying factors, the interests, that are most important to you and others in the situation. Consider using the Issue Conflict Dispute Difference Analysis Tool
- Another tool that can help you see or think about a situation from multiple perspectives is called “The Four Ways of Seeing – Thinking.” This was presented by a retired Army special forces ranger at a Negotiation/Mediation training for Marines at Camp Lejeune.
- You can use the THINK model to approach a difficult situation.
- What’s your “Conflict Style” and how do you generally deal with difficult situations? Research in the conflict resolution field suggests that we use different “styles” in different situations with each being an excellent or bad choice depending on circumstances. We also generally have a style we prefer. Check out Conflict Styles Information and you can even take a short quiz to get you thinking about your preferred style.
Check out this short video (2 minutes) from the International Ombudsman Association explaining the role of today’s ombuds.
Contacting the NC State Faculty & Staff Ombuds Office or the Faculty & Staff Ombuds is not notice to NC State of any issue, complaint, grievance or claim.